State law defines a “veteran” in different ways for purposes of eligibility for different benefit programs. In addition, some benefits are only available to wartime veterans. For example, wartime veterans are eligible for:
- local property tax exemptions (a reduction of the property’s assessed value for tax purposes);
- education benefits, including tuition waivers at the state’s public colleges and universities;
- financial aid from the Soldiers’, Sailors’ and Marines’ Fund and the veterans’ affairs commissioner;
- employment benefits, including bonus points on initial civil service examinations;
- retirement credits (for those who were state or municipal employees); and
- motor vehicle registration and license fee exemptions.
Click here to read the full report.