- Massachusetts will consider whether to repeal its automatic gas tax increase, which is currently tied to the inflation rate;
- Arizona will decide whether terminally ill patients should have access to drugs that are potentially helpful but that the Food and Drug Administration has not yet approved;
- California will consider whether to require drug testing for doctors;
- Florida will decide whether to legalize medical marijuana; and
- Georgia will vote on a proposed constitutional amendment that would prohibit the legislature from increasing the income tax above its current rate of 6%.
Connecticut does not authorize statewide direct initiative or referendum, but voters will consider a legislatively referred proposed constitutional amendment. If passed, it would give the General Assembly greater authority to pass a law allowing voters to cast their ballots without having to (1) appear at their polling place on election day or (2) provide a reason for voting by absentee ballot. (For more information on the proposed amendment, see OLR Report 2014-R-0221.)