Charities that solicit money are required to register with the Department of Consumer Protection and residents can check charity information on https://www.elicense.ct.gov. Complaints may also be registered there.
The press release offers advice on how to avoid scammers and being misled. These include, among other things:
- asking who is calling,
- asking for written information on the charity,
- donating to recognized charities,
- giving in non-cash methods,
- being mindful if prizes are offered for donations, and
- asking the solicitor not to call or hanging up.