- Does the state license abortion clinics? How many clinics currently exist?
- What level of service do the clinics provide?
- Are there state sanitation requirements for abortion clinics?
- Does the state inspect abortion clinics? Are clinics notified of the inspection in advance?
- If DPH finds a violation during an inspection of an abortion clinic, what steps must the clinic take to correct the violation?
- Are abortion clinics subject to federal health regulations or inspections?
- Have there been any cases of deaths or serious complications attributable to abortion clinics in Connecticut since the state began regulating these clinics?
- Have any abortion clinics in Connecticut been closed, either temporarily or permanently, due to a violation of state regulations? Have any been cited for infractions or compliance in the past 10 years?
- What records are abortion clinics required to maintain?
- What term of pregnancy qualifies for an abortion in Connecticut?
- Are late-term abortions treated differently?
- What are the licensure requirements to perform or assist in an abortion procedure?
- What are the licensure requirements for staff employees?
- What anesthesia policies are required for the mother and fetus being aborted?
- Are there patient follow-up procedures and if so, are they practiced?
- Are patients advised before the abortion about the risks and alternatives?
- Are there emergency procedures in place in case there are complications during surgery?
- What Connecticut regulations address an abortion procedure where the baby is “born alive”? What is the abortion clinic’s responsibility in this situation?
- Are there any “born-alive” statutes in Connecticut similar to the 2002 federal born-alive infants protection act?
January 29, 2014
Hot Report: Abortion Clinics in Connecticut - Update
OLR Report 2014-R-0026 answers several questions pertaining to the licensing, inspection, facilities, and procedures of family planning clinics in Connecticut. It updates OLR Report 2013-R-0238 and provides additional information. The questions include: