The consumer protection commissioner and the attorney general are warning Connecticut residents to ask questions of telemarketers before deciding whether to make a charitable donation. Solicitations, including those from scammers, generally increase during the holiday season.
- asking who is calling,
- asking for written information on the charity,
- donating to recognized charities,
- giving in non-cash methods,
- being mindful if prizes are offered for donations, and
- asking the solicitor not to call or hanging up.